Let’s be real here; everyone cares about how they look. No, you don’t NEED Botox to survive, but it does play a significant role in how it makes us feel about ourselves, and that’s just as important.
The stigma around America’s favorite anti-aging treatment has progressed in the last decade. We all know someone or a group of people – including ourselves – who gets Botox every few months, yet it’s still something our society hasn’t fully normalized.
In 2018, the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery found that 72 percent of doctors surveyed saw an uprise of Botox patients under 30. Just last year, Botox was the top cosmetic procedure in the United States, worth 4.83 billion dollars. Despite the pandemic, the botulinum toxin market is still the most popular treatment up to date and is projected to reach 7.71 billion dollars by 2027.
We see people share their go-to skincare products and procedures like there’s no tomorrow. Botox injections shouldn’t be excluded from that. It’s the most popular above any other cosmetic treatment, and yet with these crazy high numbers, how often do we see people proudly sharing their Botox routine? Not often. Judgements and assumptions are made when people are not as well-informed on a topic. So, in light of National Botox Day and our industry’s continuous strive to dissolve all stigma around this genius treatment, we’ve gathered everything you need to know about it. The more educated we are, the less we are afraid of it. Botox is just another addition to our skincare routine!
How does Botox help with anti-aging?
Wrinkles form when muscles contract hundreds of times a day, etching lines in the skin. When Botox is injected, the muscles under the area of injection will temporarily stop — thus preventing the skin from folding and creating the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The longevity of Botox injectables is 3 months on average, but it depends on lifestyle and genetics. The number of units per area is based on personal preference and how deep the lines are. You can expect to see your beautiful, wrinkle-free results kick in gradually after 7-14 days.
Common areas for Botox injections are:
- Forehead wrinkles – approx. 10-30 units
- Frown lines – approx. 20 units
- Crow’s feet (lines in the corner of your eyes) – approx. 10-20 units
- Bunny lines (fine lines that appear on the sides of your nose when you scrunch your face) – approx. 5-10 units
- Marionette lines (lines that run vertically between your mouth and chin) – approx. 2-5 units
- Masseter (slim down jawlines, round out a more square-shaped face, and help with grinding your teeth at night) – approx. 60-100 units
How do I prepare for a Botox appointment?
At least one week before your Botox:
- Avoid Advil, blood thinners, and fish oil
- Add leafy greens to your diet to help enhance your Vitamin K and reduce bruising/swelling
At least two days in advance:
- Avoid anti-aging topical skincare products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinol, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid
At least one day in advance:
- No alcohol
- Refrain from rubbing or massaging the injected area for at least 4 hours after your Botox. Absolutely no facials within 24 hours after!
- Stay upright, don’t lay down for at least 4 hours.
- No rigorous exercises for at least 24 hours – this is where Netflix and chill can come into play
- No alcohol, caffeine, high-sodium and high sugar foods, niacin supplement, and cigarettes for at least 24 hours to prevent swelling and irritation.
What to expect at your Botox appointment at Golden Laser Aesthetics
We recommend that all our new clients come to their appointment 10-15 minutes earlier to ensure we have all your medical history, note any allergies, and make sure you’re the right candidate for Botox. Once we have that, you’ll meet with our Aesthetic Injector, Tara, where you can discuss your aesthetic goals and concerns with her. The consultation part of your appointment is crucial. Although we understand the convenience of virtual consults, we highly recommend in-person consultations to see your skin in more detail. Tara has 14 years of aesthetic experience, 5 years of injecting, and will judge your muscles’ size to determine how much Botox you need. She’ll never encourage you to get more units than required. The treatment time is short, 10-15 minutes on average, and you will not be in any pain. We offer topical numbing cream to eliminate any discomfort, but it’s often not necessary. After your injections, you’re good to go about your day! Just make sure to stay away from strenuous exercises.
Maybe Botox had a bad reputation in the early stages from how it was portrayed around drama-filled housewives on tv. The media loves to highlight all the bad news before the good ones. But rest assured, Botox is safe – as long as you rely on an experienced specialist!
If you’re looking to get started on your wrinkle-free journey with Botox, we highly recommend signing up for Allē, a new loyalty program by Allergan Aesthetics. Sign up for Allē by November 18th, 2020 to get a buy one get one free $50 gift card towards all Allergan products. This never happens, and it’s while supplies last. Email us to register!
To book a complimentary Botox injectable consultation, contact us at:
Or book your appointment here.